1st Run Results - 2009 Speed Week

Here are some results from the first run on the Salt.

The top speed out of 3 runs was 82.201 mph. The first run I got a higher speed because there was a 8 mph tail wind, however due to slippery salt I throttled off through the timing markers (only getting 78 mph).

The Vespa was not complete, the main issue was the pipe was not designed for a KDX head.

We made a KDX pipe designed for the correct rev range however it was not perfectly tuned and we did not get time to reshape it to fit. The runs we did were with a standard Vespa pipe we put on for testing. Below we see a comparsion between road speed dyno results in 3rd.

1) These 2 runs are with the test pipe and shows that power collapses at 82 mph (in 4th). If we are lucky it will rev out otherwise it is all downhill

2) These runs are with the KDX designed pipe. We needed to go bigger in jets because it was running lean. The small circles show runs with lean mixture and the big circle is what we would have got if the correct jet was used (we did not have it available during the dyno)

3) Following the predicted curve down we would have got in the range of 100 mph with the KDX designed pipe... though only the salt will tell.

road_speed_review.jpg

ċ
Paul McIntosh,
Mar 24, 2015, 11:41 PM
ċ
Paul McIntosh,
Mar 24, 2015, 11:41 PM
Comments